Happy 50th YGH!

MayerReed_YGH1 Yost Grube Hall Architecture celebrated 50+ years with an exhibit opening at The Center for Architecture this month. As longtime colleagues and friends, we are honored to be part of this milestone event. Collaborating with YGH, Mayer/Reed orchestrated the design, copywriting and construction of the exhibit, bringing to life rich stories of people, places and projects the firm has touched over the decades. MayerReed_YGH2The exhibit runs through Sept 30 at The Center for Architecture, 403 NW 11th Avenue, Portland, OR.

3 Designs Revealed for Mesa City Center

MES-SITEPLAN-RENDEREDMayer/Reed joined Team Otak last spring in a competition for the design of the Mesa City Center.  This center is key to downtown Mesa, Arizona’s efforts to create a walkable, vibrant live, work, learn, and play environment.  As one of the three finalist teams, we recently presented our design for The Living Room Plaza to the City Council and Mesa residents. The plaza will become a dynamic, multi-cultural, educational center of a new arts district in the city, exuding a sense of community and vitality.  Check out the competition results and consider lending your support!

Light Rail, Art and Beer

TriMetArt

Cast earth, twisted rail, stone and water. Let’s talk about public art along the new Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail line: All of the pieces going in are amazing – some inspiring delight and wonder, others providing pause for contemplation. That’s how art should be.

As we’ve designed public spaces along the line, Mayer/Reed has worked to integrate several art pieces into the design, adding a unique flavor to each station. You’ll get a chance to learn about the art along the entire alignment and hear from a few of the artists on April 17 at TriMet’s TriMet’s Transit On Tap, their series of free public talks held at brewpubs. Sponsored by Mayer/Reed, this event will be at Ford Food and Drink. See you there!

Women Acting Sustainably: A Presentation

7 women. 7 minutes. 21 slides. On March 11, AIA ForWARD hosted Fast Forward, a night of Pecha Kucha style presentations on the theme, “Women Acting Sustainably.” My presentation, “Sustaining the Human Race Through Physical Activity” focused on inspiring people to see themselves as resources worthy of investment—active bodies lead to productive adults that, in turn, can fuel our economy and protect our environment.

I challenged the Portland design community attendees to consider ways to fold physical activity into the way we conduct business and in the spaces we design. I discussed our recent projects, the Outdoor Adventure at the Portland Children’s Museum, a fitness circuit course, and the Darlene Hooley Pedestrian Bridge as examples of spaces designed for movement. The Mayer/Reed designers behind these projects are committed to living physically active lives. We encouraged the audience to have a little fun, stand up and push the boundaries of social norms by participating in a set of exercises during the presentation.AIA FastForward Mayer/ReedAt the close of all 7 presentations, I was intrigued that many of the speakers focused on the social side of sustainability rather than on green building techniques. It made me proud to belong to a community in which environmentally sustainable design is already considered best practice and we can push ourselves to consider even more.